Tuesday, February 21, 2012

STEREO TEST RECORD MIX - VARIOUS ARTISTS





















http://www.mediafire.com/?tm2kb5qr43y23y3

Now this is how the internet should work. Yesterday I was wandering the interwebs looking for some more Radiophonic Workshop music and eventually I came across a Mediafire link to "Sound Effects Vol.21". I created a post and included a request that if anyone had "Out Of This World" I'd love to hear it. Within an hour Mr.Primate from Ripping Yarns had left me a message alerting me to the fact that said album was located at his blog. After gleefully downloading "Out Of This World" I started exploring Ripping Yarns and came across the above mix that Mr.Primate had originally found at a blog called The Horse Drawn Zeppelin. In turn they had sourced the mix from Go Away Records which appears to have lived up to its name and disappeared.

So now, after passing through several hands I deliver it to the people of Funky Frolic. If my stats are any indication several hundred of you will download this file, some of you will enjoy it so much that you'll be inspired to seek out original recordings by the artists featured in the mix ( about 25 of the tracks can be found on albums already posted at Funky Frolic ) and the cycle of discovery and sharing will continue....it's so beautiful.

But what of the music? Well, it was put together by the interestingly named God's Boyfriend and is done in the style of those old stereo test records which were devised to help people fine tune their audio equipment. What follows is a mix of about 150 library music tracks which are combined with mind boggling skill. You will find Nino Nardini, Raymond Scott, Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfield, Piero Piccioni, Simon Park, Jean-Jacques Perrey, Bruce Haack, Sven Libaek, Roger Roger, Eddie Warner and many many more. It equates to a mini encyclopedia of electronic library music, with some lovely detours along the way ( including a wonderful cameo from Mr. Rolf Harris ).

At times it is an intense journey but one that I'd highly recommend for everyone interested in library music. An absolute must-have, 10 out of 10 frolic super dooper winner!

8 comments:

DonHo57 said...

Just reading that lineup of artists you provide is intense...looking forward to listening. Thanks to you and Mr. P.

Anonymous said...

I am not particularly commenting on this musical offering, but what yo said in the post made me want to just thank you for this, what I can tell, is a labor of love, and mostly a thankless one. You have shown me a lot of music I really doubt i would have been turned on to other wise. SO.. THANK YOU very much!

Mr. Primate said...

Cheers for the kind words Mr. Craig & DonHo57. It's a damn fine mixtape and deserves to reach as wide an audience as possible imho.

Anonymous said...

You rule! Ive been listening to the KPM records featured on your blog they are so great! I can remember I lot of the tunes from 1980's New Zealand news and documentaries. I'm looking forward to this mix
Ta

Mr. Craig said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Anonymous said...

Another awesome choice of music. You are becoming hard to keep up with, but that's a compliment, goes without saying. I visit your blog daily in anticipation of something new and interesting and that says it all really. Thank you.

Take care,

Izzy

Magnus Bark said...

"Why is the music you call 'easy listening' so tiresome to listen to?" my wife asked when I enjoyed this mix. I cannot praise it in a better way. Thank you!

Mr. Craig said...

That's priceless bark!