Saturday, January 21, 2012

MEGAUPLOAD, SOPA AND THE WORLD WEB WAR
















Firstly I'd like to make some comments about the unpleasantness that happened yesterday. After a 2 year investigation the U.S government shut down Megaupload and made a number of arrests. This kind of action was what we feared might occur if the proposed SOPA legislation passed but it is clear now that the war has already begun. You can find a bit of background regarding recent developments here. I am hoping that in the short term the authorities will be tied up trying to prosecute Megaupload and for now other file sharing sites will be safe. Mediafire just became that much more important...

I'm sure the likes of Mediafire and Rapidshare will see large increases in traffic and this will probably slow the downloading / uploading process. My advice is to not be complacent, if you see an album that might interest you then download it immediately because we don't know what the future will hold. I have replaced about 30 of my Megaupload files with alternative links, I couldn't find alternatives for the rest and will need to re-up them on other file sharing services. This process may take several weeks and I ask you to be patient in the meantime. Unfortunately I may have to decrease the frequency of my posting while I get everything sorted.

A lot of excellent music blogs suffered a major blow yesterday. I hope that in time we will recover and become stronger because I firmly believe our work makes the internet a better place.

Until next time, stay funky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said mr.craig! this action really does go to show that even without sopa/pipa the internet will be more and more regulated and censored, and websites will be shut down without due process. It seems that the millions that protested against sopa/pipa only increased the fuel to the fire (because larger powers don't like that!)but we must never surrender our beloved internet. the work you and all music blogs provide are essential, and truly make the internet the beautiful breathe of fresh air that it needs be! keep on fighting for the final freedom that is on the verge of being stripped away! the war has begun!

Anonymous said...

Bem, pelo fato do MegaUpload ter acabado, logicamente muitos discos aqui no blog foram perdidos, pois tiveram seus links "quebrados". Portanto você irá repor esses discos no site?

Mr. Craig said...

Yes, I have been replacing the links or uploading them again on Mirrorcreator. The process is not finished yet though.